Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And . . . here . . . we . . . go . . .


I had a pretty standard day considering the fact that nothing standard is to follow upon its completion. 

Tomorrow morning, I wake up at 4am and leave the house at 5am to get on a flight by 7:30, to then make a one hour connection in Atlanta for a 10:05 departure to Shanghai. Your typical case of hurry up and wait. Wait for 18 hours (in more or less the same seat) to be exact. I've had a hard time imagining what it will be like to attempt to occupy myself for that amount of time, but I think I should be able to accomplish it just fine. In my carry-on I have:

- 2 epic novels
- 2 china travel books
- MacBook
- ipod
- camera
- Adbusters magazine
- calendar
- journal
- clipboard
- important documents
- electronic translator (Thanks Dad!)
- wallet
- water canteen
- various beauty and hygiene products
- blanket

If I were MacGyver, I think that would be enough raw material to fashion a makeshift aircraft, but, really, where's the need in such nonsense? I'll most likely use all items for their intended purposes. Most likely . . . 

I am super excited about meeting my travel companions from the program, and even more excited about landing in Shanghai where I imagine that the reality of the whole thing will hit me pretty hard. By Friday around 5pm (Shanghai Time), I should be happily situated in my apartment, and perhaps even on my first exploration around the campus and the vast city just outside it's walls. Look forward to photos in the next post (I already packed my camera cord) of final packing, the epic travel day, and my first day in Shanghai!! Holy crap . . . 

Needless to say, it might take me a little while to prioritize my life once I get there, and although keeping everyone up to date is pretty high on my priority list, it falls short of things like food, shelter, and perhaps even hygiene. As such, it may not be until Saturday or Sunday that I am able to update again. 

Until then . . . !


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the title of this post. :P

And I'm completely jealous of you for having a translator. That ought to help a ton! I didn't even have the presence of mind to look at China travel books... sigh.

Well, guess I'll see you in a few hours! Good luck!

-Tiffany

Anonymous said...

I won't be asking you to be a part of any magic tricks, I can assure you.

Where are my manners... my name is Jerad, and I'm somewhat acquainted to one of your travel partners, Tiffany. I would like to congratulate you on embarking on such an amazing experience, and I do wish you and all of your fellow expats the best of luck these next few months.

I shall do what I can to stay abreast of all of your updates; I do hope you can keep Tiffany in line, though -- I've been trying the better part of six years and still don't have a handle on it.

Auf wiedersehen,

Jerad