Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Long Day in Shanghai

Today was my first day all alone in a long, long time. My weekdays are spent in an entirely too entertaining office. My nights are usually spent with friends as we eat or curl up to a good book and a cup of coffee. Lately my weekends have been spent traveling the country with some amazing traveling companions.

It was strange to all of a sudden be alone, in silence, with no one by my side to joke with, to converse with, to exist with in a shared experience. This sudden and complete state of anonymous singularity – juxtaposed with the pulsing of a vibrant and excited city -- made me realize how much time I spend with friends made here in China, at SHSID. And, more importantly, it made me realize how lucky I am to have wonderful people around, enhancing and completing my life in China, and hopefully much more of my life to come.

This morning, nearly all of the foreign teachers left for various globe trotting adventures. Thailand. Cambodia. Yunan Province. Laos. Hong Kong. Singapore. Sweden. France. The States. This is our longest break during our ten-month contract, and most people use it to complete some Asia traveling while they are still on this side of the world.

I am doing something equally important and meaningful. My mother is coming to visit me tomorrow, for almost two weeks. This will be her first time in China. As such, I spent the day preparing to host her with my best Chinese hospitality.

It was an interesting day, however. It was one of those days where I think, “Ok, China. You are really trying to break me this time.” I continually refuse to break.

The mishaps of today began when I got on the 824 (bus) to go to Ikea. Easy enough, until I realized that I got on going the wrong way. Unfortunately, I realized this after the bus had already started moving.

This is an amateur mistake to make. In fact, the only other time this mistake was made was about four months ago, or a little over a month after we had arrived in China. Nicole knew the 824 went to Xuijiahue, but was slightly confused as to which corner to pick it up on.

We picked it up on the wrong one, but did not realize it until –all of a sudden – the bus stopped and everyone got out. Come to find, we had done a nice little loop around Baise, and then the bus went out of service. We all forfeited and got taxis instead, laughing at our own lao wai silliness. Lesson learned.

Apparently, not. I was tempted onto the 824 (at the wrong stop) while waiting for the 973 (at the right stop). The 824 passed, with bunches of empty seats. So, feeling a little lazy I hopped on. I realized my mistake seconds after the bus started moving, and realized that I had two, equally unpleasant, options.

First, look like a fool and get off at the next stop. I say look like a fool because, really, who rides the bus to go a half a block? Only silly lao wai who get confused easily and often because they live in a country with an entirely different language and writing system.

My second option was to wait for a few stops, exit with purpose, and then search for a place to pick up the 824 going the correct way.

I opted for the second, which resulted in nothing more than about twenty wasted minutes, a little more walking, and the fear that I might not get a seat when the right bus finally arrived. Crisis number one averted and I was, properly seated, on my way to Ikea.

Ikea, per usual on a Sunday afternoon, was nuts. I was a lone solider though, which makes it a lot easier. I stealthily grabbed some lunch, and then headed down to the marketplace with a purpose.

I decided this morning that I wanted to revamp my apartment. This was the third major change, and I think it follows the adage, “Third time’s a charm.” I purchased two lamps, three rugs, sheets, and a bookcase. That’s a lot for a little lady to lug around, so I played with the idea of getting a “delivery taxi” for about 60 kuai.

Usually I just ignore the constant taxi banter as you near the checkout, but today I bit the bait. I tried to get the price down, and had fun conversations with a few drivers. In the end, however, I decided to brave the regular taxi line, where I would get a ride home for only 20 kuai. Usually, when you have a lot of things, the cab driver will convince the guards at the front gate to let us drive in and to the dorm. This was my expectation.

Never, never have expectations in China.

Instead, I got kicked to the curb. Literally. The driver wouldn’t even cross the street to get to the gate. I was dropped off in front of Drunken Fish. I had to quickly unload my heavy bags, books case and rug. The driver, disgruntled for reasons beyond my comprehension, almost drove off before I got all of my things, and then he yelled at me while I struggled to close the door.

I could not carry, at one time, all of the things I bought, so I had to run two of the bags across the street, leaving the rug and the bookcase unattended on the sidewalk. I then had to run back to the other side of the street, dodging rush hour traffic, and lug the momentarily abandoned furniture before some Baise resident ended up with some classy Ikea furnishings.

It took me two trips to get all of the stuff back to my apartment. I don’t even think I can detail how terrible the bookcase building process was. It was bad. And long. And painful. And, in the end, it isn’t really even put together properly. It works though, which, in the end, is all I can really ask for, and should in fact surpass my expectations.

If that wasn’t a long enough day, I decided to make it a bit longer by going to City Shop (the import grocery store,) that was a bus ride and a walk away. I spent almost 500 kuai on food, which is much more than I have collectively spent on groceries in the past five months. I wanted to get some import foods for my mom, for comfort and in case Chinese food does not go over well with her stomach in the first few days, which is quite possible.

The cab driver on the way back from City Shop insisted on speaking to me, in Chinese of course. I think he over estimated, by quite a lot, how much Chinese I speak, and even more how much I understand. I busted out, “Wo bu ming bai ni shur shen me.” This basically means, “I don’t understand what you are saying.” After hearing him laugh, perhaps both in appreciation of my attempt and at my butchering of the language, I decided to go for gold.

What followed was pure China magic. I spit out, in no discernible or logical order, all of the words and small phrases I have learned since coming here. Some examples include:

Waitress, Check please
No way!
I love you
I do not love you
I want coffee
I don’t have
I am a teacher
I am American
There
Here
This
That

I think I thoroughly entertained him. It was a wonderful end to a long day in Shanghai. I love it when China pushes me to the point where I leave all of my inhibitions behind and start doing the things I always wish I could, but never find the courage for.

I am super excited about tomorrow, and plan on getting little sleep tonight. Look forward to posts regarding our adventures soon! It’s going to be good . . .

No comments: