Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hour-by-Hour


When life makes its own plans, one is faced with two options -- fight it or follow it. In the last year, I have done a little of both. When I finally surrendered, and began to follow life wherever it might decide to lead me, I realized that throwing away my calendar was a huge part of that. I let it go last September, and somehow navigated my way through the final year of college without a calendar and without a plan. In the process, I adopted a new philosophy -- living hour-by-hour. Turns out, it is actually a very pleasant way to live. The future is less intimidating, existing only in hour increments. 

I am now navigating the balance between living hour-by-hour and being a high school teacher in China, as I will have to do come August. I am beginning the slow integration of a calendar into this process, and finding a Moleskine at Barnes and Noble today is making that process much more enjoyable. 


This calendar will be with me everyday for the next year. I hope to fill it with exiciting plans and wonderful memories. 

No comments: