Thursday, July 31, 2008

Category Z


Today, I patiently awaited the arrival of my passport and visa. Sure enough . . . 

I received my identification card, which very clearly identifies that I am a TEACHER, in case you were confused . . . I'm not sure what types of benefits or sweet deals this card might bring me, hopefully they have an internationally recognized discount on beer for TEACHERS. That would be just grrreeaat. It is my health insurance card above all, as you can see from the list of "Losses" that might be incurred and their payout below. 



I also received my visa. It is the coveted, Category Z. This is a class higher than the standard travelers' visa, and enables me to stay in the country longer. . . a whole year!! Again, hopefully, it will bring to me some sweet deals, potentially for abroad travel on the Asian continent during my stay. Again, this is all speculation . . . 

In all seriousness, getting these documents today is one of the many things that makes the reality of my upcoming departure settle deeper into my consciousness. I am on the downward slope now, as we go into the month of August. What once seemed like an endless summer of leisure is rapidly realizing its end. This realization brings about feelings of joy, anxiety, excitement, and melancholy within me. Needless to say, its a little confusing to be me at this juncture. 

I cannot imagine the feelings I will have as I board Delta flight 19 in Atlanta on the morning of the 21st, knowing that I will not place my feet on U.S. soil for at least a year. I am super excited to be on a plane with four other TEACHERS (Dennis, Tiffany, Hillary, and Nathan) from SHSID. It'd be one thing if the flight were only 5 or 6 hours, where there would not be a lot of time to evaluate and re-evaluate my current life plans. However, on a direct flight lasting 18 hours, I think I might end up in the tiny bathroom on at least one occasion, staring myself down in the mirror asking, "Why?" 


No comments: