Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter Sunday

As I was sitting in the office this morning, planning the weekend ahead, it was brought to my attention that this weekend is Easter. If no one had told me, I honestly would not have known. Disconnection is one of the many side-effects of living abroad.

So, what will I be doing this Easter Sunday? Hunting for jelly beans? Not quite . . . well, maybe some sport jelly bellies at the end of the 8k I will be competing (read suffering) in right here in Shanghai.

A few people from the office decided that a good way to bring in the warm weather would be to train for and race in the 8k. Some of us have been running for a while, and Denis and Nicole have even completed a marathon (wow!).

I, on the other hand, hardly ever run and mostly despise it. It hurts my knees and makes me break into a rash. Not the most pleasant things in the world. However, there have been conditions present lately to spark an interest (and perhaps even a desire) in running.

Essentially, I have been pretty inactive and eating a lot. Its a rough combination for the waistline and I refuse to buy a bigger pair of pants. Running was an immediate, effective, and relatively cheap fix.

Race registration: 100 kuai
Mizuno running shoes: 300 kuai
Not having to buy bigger pants: Priceless!

Tonight, I ran, literally, to Xuijiahue to pick up my race packet (a shirt and a number).



Another source of inspiration: I have been diligently combing through the works of Japanese author named Haruki Murakami. Most recently, I read his memoir on running, aptly titled, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running". I read it every night before bed, after setting my alarm for 5:45 to get in a few miles before work. It inspired me to get out there and do my best, and to enjoy running for its cathartic purposes.

After the discussion of Easter began in the office, I thought about what I did last Easter, and I was happy to find some pictures still on my computer from the festivities. My parents and I relived my childhood by going to the Easter Day Parade in Richmond, donning the Easter bonnets that won many awards in the days of my youth.


I hope every one has a Happy Easter, where ever you are and whatever you might be doing. And, please, eat a Cadbury Egg or two for me!

No comments: