Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Coffee and Work

The two aforementioned things tend to have a positively correlated relationship. The more coffee one has, the more likely one is to work. This was the case today when, after collectively consuming around 6 cups of coffee throughout my day, I managed to basically start and finish writing a 9th grade English midterm in less than an hour. The sudden influx of coffee into my daily diet/habit is directly related to the new teachers’ lounge where we have open access to a cheap, powder based coffee/cappuccino machine.

My classes went pretty well today. I ventured with my 9th grade English class to the new international library on campus where they were to pick out a book they would read for the next three weeks, maintaining a Reader's Journal throughout the process. The kids liked the fact that they got to choose their own books, and liked even more the fact that the Reader's Journal, which is highly self-directed, was to replace the archaic and dreaded book report. I am winning them over, slowly but surely. Best part is, they don’t even know it! I am doing a Reader’s Journal with them as I think it will help me to sit down and focus on my own reading everyday.

My 10th grade history class was ok. I just gave them a lot of time to work on the draft of a research paper that is due tomorrow. They get to choose any sport, research its history and traditions, and trace the sport to modern times, discussing its influence on the current wide world of sports. Not a topic of my choosing in particular, but it corresponds nicely with the section of the textbook we are currently studying, so I do what I can with what they give me.

I have nothing of interest to say about my 11th grade history class, which was the last class of the day. We have a love hate relationship. They love to hate me, and the feeling is mostly reciprocal. It is unfortunate, really, that the teaching relationship has to be that way sometimes, but most of the time it is not possible to be friends with your students. Rather you just have to focus on teaching them the material in the ways they most want to learn it.

Last week, I had them do a project where they made a promotional flier to get people to attend the Storming of the Bastille. This seemed age appropriate since most of them sleep through class because they party at night in clubs, which use similar fliers to promote certain DJs that will be performing there, drink specials, etc. This was a pretty popular activity, and amazingly enough I saw smiles on their faces, a few people talked, and the two kids that ALWAYS sleep in the back of class were awake for almost half the period! The posters they made were pretty entertaining. I will post some photos when I get my camera up and running.

After class, I sat down to write the English midterm, which actually isn’t for another two weeks. Helen, my boss, told me today, however, that they would have to be completed and turned into the administration by Monday. Not much fair warning considering the amount of preparation and work required in making a midterm, but this is China. That is more or less how they work things around here.

No comments: